Whithering Heights

Frank Kulcsar KULCSAR at ABRSLE.AGR.CA
Wed Mar 31 14:43:19 EST 1993

Previously from Brian Taylor:

< We also use carbenicillin to remove Agrobacterium after tomato and
< tobacco transformation.  Our experience is that it works OK (there
< is some carryover of Agro), but it does have some deleterious effects
< on the regenerants.  One obvious effect is that when transgenic
< shoots are rooted in media containing carb the roots are often
< thickened and slow growing.  I would like to hear of any effective
< (cost and otherwise) alternatives.

 An alternative to carbenicillin is cefotaxime when purging Agrobacterium
transformed potato tissue.  Cost wise cefotaxime is more expensive however it
is used a lower concentrations.

 Refer to De Block's paper on leaf tissue transformation of potato in
Theor. Appl. Genet. (1988) 76: 767-774.

			Frank

!!   Frank Kulcsar           Kulcsar at abrsle.agr.ca   !!
!!   Potato Pathology Lab Technician                 !!
!!   Agriculture Canada Research Station             !!
!!   Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada                     !!
!!   Phone  (403) 327-4561      FAX (403) 382-3156   !!