Teaching Plant Identification at Summer Camp

Robyn Klein aphrk%ruby.dnet at TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Wed Mar 31 13:06:01 EST 1993

Paul:  I teach plant id through adult ed and am also an herbalist who
is in the woods most of the summer.  The book I use is H.D. Harrington's
"How to Identify Plants".  It costs about $10.00 and is a real basic book
that never grows old.  I also use diagrams that the Carolina Biological
Supply sells in pads.  They are out of Oregon...I'll look up the address
and get back to you.  Write or call them early...it takes 4 weeks for them
to send your material back.  They have 4 basic diagrams... 1) typical flower
parts 2) Types of Inflorescences, 3) Leaf Types and 4) Leaf margins, tips
and bases.

Suggestions:  have students make a plant press to bring with them and have
them collect plants to identify later using a key or maybe a kind botanist
with some time on his/her hands.

You should get them each a plant lens ($6/each) which serves to knock their
socks off when they see closely into a flower or the hairs on a stem.

Have fun!    Robyn Klein