population differences in outcrossing rates of angiosperms

Toby Bradshaw toby at stein.u.washington.edu
Thu May 6 09:36:49 EST 1993

In article <C6L4zw.4Jx at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> ntakebay at silver.ucs.indiana.edu (naoki takebayashi) writes:
>I'm interested in relationships between inbreeding depression and the
>evolution of breeding system in angiosperms. I'm looking for plant
>species that I can use for my experiment. The requirement for the
>species is that outcrossing rates are highly different among different
> populations of same species or among related species. I mean one
>population highly selfs and another population highly outcrosses. This
>outcrossing rate should be genetically determined. If you know such
>species, please let me know.

I would suggest _Lycopersicon_, which contains a variety of mating
systems under genetic control (no specific reference, but a keyword
search of the literature using Charlie Rick as author should turn
up something useful).

Toby Bradshaw                       |
Department of Biochemistry          |  Will make genetic linkage maps
and College of Forest Resources     |            for food.
University of Washington, Seattle   |
toby at u.washington.edu               |