reforestation figures

Mon May 10 12:14:12 EST 1993

In article <C6MM36.5x1 at news2.cis.umn.edu>, teb at dendron.forestry.umn.edu
writes:

>> I am looking for current reforestation figures on timber
>> industry data.  For USFS I have anywhere from 2 to 5 million
>> acres in arrears with regard to tree planting in logged
>> areas, with a rate in 1989 of 500,000 acres plants versus
>> 4 million logged.
>> Also interested in Canadian figures for three provinces with
>> largest timber industry, BC, Ont, Quebec.  For example I
>> have 1990 in BC 580,000 acres logged, 250,000 replanted, etc.
>> I am especially interested in comparing acres harvested
>> with acres reforested for US, Canada, and European countries
>> with large timber production (Scandinavia, etc.).
>> thanks
>> David
>
>May I ask, "What is your point?" Don't forget that a good proportion of
>reforestation is by natural means. We aren't talking all corn fields here, I
>don't think.
>
>--
>Thomas E. Burk
>University of Minnesota
>Internet: teb at dendron.forestry.umn.edu
>BITNet: teburk at umnacvx.bitnet
>USFS DG: t.burk:x400

In Dave's defense, there is a major point here.  NSR lands (Not sufficiently
restocked) are a growing problem.  In B.C., it is particularly true because
of stiff public resistance to herbicide use.  Although NSR lands may
eventually regenerate to their former state, the delay forces us to expand
operations.  Clearcuts and fires are vastly different in terms of the
types of weeds they encourage- regeneration is not the same.  I cite as an
example the system I am working with in the Boreal.  Fires encourage the
development of fireweed, which does not really outcompete spruce in NE B.C.
However, Calamagrostis is the plant that comes in after clearcutting- this
grass can delay spruce development for up to a decade, allowing poplar to
get there first.  Where fires are few, I personally question the sanity of
clearcutting at all.  I don't have recent data, but in 1989 NSR land in B.C.
included 1.1 million ha in high priority forest lands, despite planting
200,000,000 seedlings per year.  This mandates 87,000 ha of treatment per
year just to sustain things, at costs which are now up to ca. $700/ha. on
difficult sites. (Most of these figures are from the B.C. Ministry of
forests).  -RSW

Disclaimer:  I do not speak for Forestry Canada or the Government of Canada.
If our opinions are the same, it is a coincidence.

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Visiting Fellow
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600