planting acorns

Tony Travis ajt at
Fri May 28 10:06:32 EST 1993

ShawAM at ca.nrc.lan.imb wrote:
:     Can anyone tell me the best way to make an acorn germinate?.  I have a
: friend who has made many unsuccessful attempts at growing an oak tree.
: He has tried growing acorns in small pots indoors as well as in his backyard,
: but none have germinated, even in the rich soil of Prince Edward Island.  He
: has been successful with several other types of trees, but his acorns remain
: a great source of frustration.  If anyone has any suggestions, they would be
: appreciated.

Plant them the right way up (!).

I'm not kidding, actually: I was told this by an arboriculturalist but
(blush) I regret to say I've forgotten which is the right way up :-)

Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  JANET: <ajt at>
Rowett Research Institute,            |  other: <ajt at>