Acorn Germination Locations

goldsmig at cgsvax.claremont.edu goldsmig at cgsvax.claremont.edu
Fri May 28 13:32:59 EST 1993

Is there any benefit in planting acorns (a) in their natural habitat or
(b) in the nursery/lab/greenhouse first for later transplanting into the
natural habitat?  I'm presently preparing for such a task this winter in
the southern California area with Q. agrifolia (coast live oak) and
possibly Q. wislizenii (interior live oak) and would appreciate any
information.

Also, the intended site, while supporting existing oaks, is rather
rugged and harsh.  I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but it
might.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

George Goldsmith