Blue fungus

BillBerry awb at
Mon May 31 02:54:08 EST 1993

From: rpayne at KEAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Subject: Blue Fungus
Date: 27 May 93 12:19:03 GMT
Sender: daemon at

Can anyone help me with identification of the fungus found in Canadian
coniferous forests which colonizes fallen twigs and stains them bright
blue?  I do not recall ever seeing this organism on logs or stumps (or
even on larger fallen branches) but here in Newfoundland it is very
common on smaller wood fragments?  Thanks. Ron Payne.

Dear Ron,
        Over here we have a similar wood staining fungus,
it's a long time since I did any fungal taxonomy, but I seem
to remember its name as Ophiostoma ulmii. Maybe your fungus
is from the same genus. Hope this helps a little,
best wishes,
Andrew Berry

Dept. of Biological Sciences,
University College of Wales, Aberystwyth
Wales, UK.
awb at