amyloplasts, statolith, & mutant

caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com
Tue Nov 2 13:57:03 EST 1993

Peter Gogarten asked:

>Until last week I thought that the perception of the
>gravitational field by statocytes in the root cap was one of
>the few solved puzzles in the gravitropic response.
>However, I learned during a discussion that starch free
>Arabidopsis mutants (which, I assume cannot use amyloplasts
>as statoliths) do have a gravitropic response (although I
>read in the Salisbury and Ross' plant physiology textbook
>that the response is slower). Has anyone looked at the
>ultrastructure of the root cap in the mutant?  Does anyone
>have a convincing idea to save amyloplasts as statoliths?
>
>Peter Gogarten
>Peter at carrot.mcb.uconn.edu

	I have isolated and studied two classes of starchless
mutants of Arabidopsis.  One class affects the plastid
isozyme of phosphoglucomutase and the other affects
ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase.  The PGM mutant has been better
studied, but where the ADP glucose pyrophosphorylase mutant
has been studied, its responses seem similar to the PGM
mutant.  As Peter notes, both mutants are strongly
gravitropic, although the response is slower than the WT
(about 70% of the WT rate for a simple induction experiment).
At least 4 groups have looked at the ultrastructure of the
PGM mutant.  Three of these groups (Caspar and Pickard,
Planta 177:185; Sack and Kiss, Am. J. of Bot. 76:454; Moore,
Ann. Bot. 64:271) have found that the root cap of the mutant
lacks starch and as a result the plastids are much smaller
than those in the WT.  Otherwise, however, the root cap of
the mutant is similar to the WT.  Surprisingly, a fourth
group (Saether and Iversen, Planta 184:491) has found that
the mutant contains large amounts of starch in the root cap
(about 14% of WT levels).  I know of no explanation for this
discrepancy.
	Peter also asks about what these results mean for the
starch statolith theory.  At a minimum, the theory must be
modified to account for these results.  Starch clearly is not
required for gravitropic sensing.  However, since the
starchless mutants are gravitropically slower than the WT,
there appears to be some role for starch in gravitropism.
One possibility is that the starchless plastids have a
sufficient mass and density that they can produce an
attenuated but still sufficient gravity-induced signal to
trigger the gravitropic response.  Supporting this
explanation are results (Caspar and Pickard, Planta 177:185;
Kiss et al., Planta 177:198) which show the starchless
plastids do not sediment at 1 g but do after centrifugation
equivalent to 4.5 g.   Alternatively, the starch content of
the plastid may be required for gravitropism as a source of
metabolic energy, carbon skeletons, etc.  Supporting this
explanation is the fact that the starch in the WT root cap
cells is rapidly broken down as the columella cells slough
off the root cap indicating it is metabolically accessible.
In addition, there are many more arguments in each direction
on this issue which I will not go into here.
	Finally, I have heard reports (although I have not seen
any publications) that Ken Poff has evidence that there may
be a second mutation in several independently-isolated PGM
mutant lines which reduces their gravitropism.  If this is
true, then the reduced gravitropism in the starchless mutants
may be unrelated to the absence of starch and the role of
starch in gravitropism will have to be further re-evaluated.

Tim Caspar
Dupont Central Research and Development