proline-rich proteins?

KATE at BIO.TAMU.EDU KATE at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Tue Nov 2 11:55:03 EST 1993

On Tue, 2 Nov 93 16:24:07 +0900, Los Dmitry Anatolievitch
<losda at nibb.ac.jp> writes:

> Hello netters,
> Could somebody tell me what is the role(s) of proline-rich
> proteins in plants and bacteria. Any examples?

There are several classes of proline-rich proteins in plants, and
these appear to be components of the plant extracellular matrix.
Some recent reviews covering classes of cell wall proteins, including
proline-rich proteins include:

Carpita, N.C., and Gibeaut, D.M.  1993.  The Plant Journal 3, 1-30.
Keller, B.  1993.  Plant Physiology 101, 1127-1130.
Showalter, A.M.  1993.  Plant Cell 5, 9-23.

Two classes of proline-rich proteins include hydroxy-proline rich
glycoproteins (HRGPs) and repetitive proline-rich proteins (RPRPs).
In HRGPs, most of the prolines are post-translationally hydroxylated
and the proteins are abundantly glycosylated.  In RPRPs, about half
of the proline residues are hydroxylated, and the proteins are only
lightly glycosylated, if at all.  However, recent work by Kileszewski
et al. (1992.  Plant Physiol. 98, 919-926) indicates that the
dicotomy between these two classes is blurred, since some proteins
may contain motifs characteristic of both classes.

Several roles have been proposed for proline-rich proteins.
They can become covalently cross-linked into the cell wall
during development, and may increase wall strength.  This cross-
linking can also occur rapidly in response to elicitors  (Bradley et
al., 1992. Cell 70, 21-30).  Perhaps they can form a barrier
to pathogen ingress?  Also, because they occur in secondary walls that
contain lignin, they may serve as a scaffold for lignin deposition
(Ye et al., 1991.  Plant Journal 1, 175-183).  In my lab, we have
also observed that PRPs are detectable in Casparian strips, and may
therefore be related to suberin deposition, as well (unpublished
observation so far).

We have seen that several antibodies against PRPs cross-react with
two peptides on the cell surface of the gram negative bacterium,
Rhizobium.  Therefore, I would also be interested to learn of PRP-
like proteins known from bacteria.

Kate VandenBosch
Department of Biology
Texas A & M University