Toxicity of Ornamental Plants

Larry London london at sunSITE.unc.edu
Tue Nov 2 17:09:54 EST 1993

In article <czsCFvHrJ.Iro at netcom.com> czs at netcom.com (Christian Smith) writes:
>Anyone know a source of info on the toxicity of ornamentals, e.g. if my
>son ingests some what are the ramifications?

rec.gardens Poisonous Plants FAQ:
-

From: klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: pOISONOUS PLANTS LIST
Date: 21 Feb 93 15:24:14 -0600

                     Plants poisonous to humans:
  the list is divided into those known to have caused fatalities in
 humans and those with significant quantities of poisonous substances

                  *****************************

Plants known to have caused human fatalities:  List includes only
North American natives and plants commonly grown in North America

                                                  Poisonous parts*
                         Scientific Name          (fls=flowers; frt=
                         (spp. = species          fruit; lvs=leaves;
Plant                    plural)                  rt=root)
----------------         ---------------          -------------------

Angel's trumpet          Datura                   all, esp. seed, lvs
                         suaveolens

Azalea                   Rhododendron             lvs, fls
                         spp.

Baneberry                Actaea spp.              frt; rt

Belladonna               Atropa                   all, esp. frt, rt
                         belladonna

Black Cherry             Prunus serotina          bark, seed, lvs (frt
                                                  OK)

Black Locust             Robinia pseudo-          seed, lvs, inner
                         acacia                   bark

Black snakeroot          Zigadenus spp.           bulbs

Buckeye                  Aesculus spp.            seed, lv, stem, fls
                                                  and honey made from
                                                  nectar

Caladium                 Caladium spp.            all parts

Carolina jessamine       Gelsimium                all parts
                         sempervirens

Castor bean              Ricinus                  seed
                         communis

Chinaberry               Melia azdirach           frt, lvs

Daphne                   Daphne mexereum          all parts

Death camas              Zigadenus spp.           bulbs

Dieffenbachia            Dieffenbachia            all parts
                         spp.

Duranta                  Duranta repens           frt

English ivy              Hedera helix             frt, lvs

False hellebore          Veratrum spp.            all parts

Foxglove                 Digitalis                all parts
                         purpurea

Golden chain tree        Laburnum                 seed, fls
                         anagyroides

Horse chestnut           Aesculus spp.            seed, lv, stem, fls
                                                  including honey made
                                                  from nectar

Jequirty bean            Abrus                    seed
                         precatorius

Jimson weed              Datura                   all parts, esp seed
                         stramonium and
                         Datura spp.

Lantana                  Lantana camara           unripe frt

Lily of the valley       Convallaria              all parts
                         majalis

Lobelia                  Lobelia spp.             all parts

Mistletoe                Phoradendron             frt
                         spp.

Monkshood                Aconitum spp.            all parts

Mountain laurel          Kalmia                   lvs, stems, fls
                         latifolia

Moonseed                 Menispermum              frt
                         canadense

Ne'em                    Melia azdirach           frt, lvs

Nightshade               Solanum spp.             unripe frt

Oleander                 Nerium oleander          all parts

Poke                     Phytolacca               rt, mature stems
                         americana

Precatory bean           Abrus                    seed
                         precatorius

Rhododendron             Rhododendron             lvs, fls
                         sp.

Rhubarb                  Rheum                    leaf blades
                         rhaponticum

Rubber vine              Cryptostegia             all parts
                         grandiflora

Sandbox tree             Hura crepitans           milky sap and seed

Tabacco (incl. tree      Nicotiana spp            all parts, esp lvs
tobacco)

Tansy                    Tanacetum                lvs, fls
                         vulgare

Tung tree                Aleurites                all parts, esp seed
                         fordii

Water hemlock            Cicuta spp.              rt

White snakeroot          Eupatorium               all parts
                         rugosum

Yellow oleander          Thevetia                 all parts, esp frt
                         peruviana

Yew                      Taxus spp.               all parts but "berry
                                                  pulp"

      PLANTS WITH SIGNIFICANT QUANTITIES OF POISONOUS SUBSTANCES

Amaryllis                Amaryllis spp.           bulb

Autumn crocus            Colchicum                all parts
                         autumnale

Bittersweet              Celastrus                seed
                         scandens

Bleeding heart           Dicentra spp.            all parts

Bloodroot                Sanguinaria              all parts
                         canadensis

Blue cohosh              Caulophyllum             frt, lvs
                         thalictroides

Boxwood                  Buxus                    lvs
                         sempervirens

Buckthorn                Rhamnus spp.             frt

Bushman's poison         Acokanthera spp          all parts

Buttercup                Ranunculus spp.          all parts; toxicity
                                                  varies from species to
                                                  species; mostly
                                                  causes blistering

Buttonbush               Cephalanthus             lvs
                         occidentalis

Chincherinchee           Ornithagalum             all parts
                         thyrsoides

Colchicum                Colchicum                all parts
                         autumnale

Crown of thorns          Euphorbia                milky latex
                         splendens

Culver's root            Veronicastrum            root
                         virginianum

Daffodil                 Narcissus spp.           bulb

Delphinium               Delphinium spp.          young plants, seed

Desert marigold          Baileya radiata          all parts

Dutchman's breeches      Dicentra                 all parts
                         cucullaria

Fly poison               Amianthemum              lvs, rt
                         muscaetoxicum

Four o'clock             Mirabilis                seed, rt
                         jalapa

Gloriosa lily            Gloriosa spp.            all parts

Goldenseal               Hydrastis                rhizomes, lvs
                         canadensis

Holly                    Ilex spp.                frt

Hyacinth                 Hyacinthus spp.          bulb

Hydrangea                Hydrrangea spp.          buds, lvs

Jack in the Pulpit       Arisaema                 rt, lvs
                         triphyllum

Jessamine                Cestrum spp.             lvs, young stems

Jonquil                  Narcissus spp.           bulb

Karaka nut               Corynocarpus             seed
                         laevigata

Kentucky coffee tree     Gymnocladus              frt
                         dioica

Larkspur                 Delphinium spp.          young plants, seed

Lignum vitae             Guaiacum                 frt
                         officinale

Locoweed                 Astragalus and           various parts; more
                         Oxytropis spp.           of a livestock
                                                  poisoning problem

Lupine                   Lupinus spp.             various parts;
                                                  primarilly frt, seed

Mayapple                 Podophyllum              all parts but ripe
                         peltatum                 frt

Mescal bean              Sophora                  seed
                         secundiflora

Narcissus                Narcissus spp.           bulb

Ngaio                    Myoporum laetum          lvs

Opium poppy              Papaver                  unripe frt
                         somniferum

Philodendron             Philodendron             lvs, stems
                         spp.

Pittosporum              Pittosporum              frt, lvs, stems
                         spp.

Poinsettia               Euphorbia                milky latex
                         pulcherrima

Poison ivy               Toxicodendron            sap, lvs
                         radicans

Poison oak               Toxicodendron            sap, lvs
                         diversilobum

Poison sumac             Toxicodendron            sap, lvs
                         vernix

Prickly poppy            Argemone spp.            seed, lvs

Privet                   Ligustrum                seed, lvs
                         vulgare

Sneezeweed               Helenium spp.            all parts

Snow on the mountain     Euphorbia                milky latex
                         marginata

Squirrel corn            Dicentra                 all parts
                         canadensis

Star of Bethlehem        Ornithagalum             all parts
                         umbellatum

Sweet pea                Lathyrus spp.            seed

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI   in%"klier at iscsvax.uni"