Thaumatin II: A sweet Marker Gene for Plants......

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Tue Nov 2 19:27:54 EST 1993

> To:            plant-biology at net.bio.net
> From:          SERTAC at tr.edu.metu.cc.vm (Sertac ONDE)
> Subject:       Thaumatin II: A sweet Marker Gene for Plants......
> Date:          2 Nov 93 15:29:46 GMT

> Dear netters,
> After reading a paper by Michael Witty about Thaumatin II reporter
> gene utilisation in plant genetic manipulations (which appeared in
> Methods of Enzymology 216: 441-447, 1992), one particular paragraph
> at the Concluding Remarks section (p. 447) made me curious.
> At the final paragraph, the author mentioned  a phenotypic change in
> plants overexpressing the Thaumatin II under the control of CaMV35S,
> and continued to state that this phenotypic change could be used to
> detect transgenic lines or whole plants.
> Could someone inform me what this phenotypic change is all about?
> Is it a color change or more on the morphology level?
>
> With my best regards,
> Dr. Sertac Onde
> Middle East Technical University, Biology Dept.
> Ankara, Turkey.

 I would also be interested in the answer to this question.

Stephen A. Pluhar
SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1