Establishing herbarium database

Rupert G. Wilson sbswilsn at reading.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 04:03:20 EST 1993

Hello,
Here at the Herbarium, University of Reading, UK., we use a program called
BRAHMS which we are helping to develop with our colleagues at the Oxford
Forestry Institute.  The program deals with the day to day running of Herbaria;
entering specimen data, creating labels, managing loans etc.  Many more
features are being added including specimen mapping, species descriptions,
bibliographies etc etc.  it is also hoped to implement a GIS element as part of
the BRAHMS package too.  Although the software is still under development we
would welcome interested parties to contact us with a view to making the
software more widely available.

Regarding your question about herbarium contacts, are you aware of the Plant
Taxonomists Online.  This major list covers both active Taxonomists with e-mail
and also an increasing number of Herbaria.

Hope this helps

Rupert Wilson
Herbarium Technician (RNG).