BEN # 64

Adolf Ceska aceska at CUE.BC.CA
Wed Nov 10 00:58:24 EST 1993

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N          BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN          ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          NEWS

No. 64                            November 9, 1993

Address: aceska at cue.bc.ca         Victoria, B.C.

DR. KOJIMA'S LETTER FROM JAPAN
From: Satoru Kojima <kojima%jpntyavm.bitnet at utcc.utoronto.ca>

[A  few days ago I got a letter from Dr. Satoru Kojima. He was a
student of Prof. V.J.  Krajina  at  the  University  of  British
Columbia  and he is now Professor of Plant Ecology at the Toyama
University in Japan. - AC]

Last April, we had some re-organization of our university. It is
a sort of fashion in these days in Japan. Every university talks
about re-organization and re-structuring. As  a  result,  I  was
transferred  to  the  Faculty of Science, the same faculty where
[plant taxonomist] Dr. Naruhasi is stationed.  But  in  reality,
nothing  has  changed. I am in the same office doing exactly the
same job, and so on. This  is  what  they  call  "innovation  of
university".

Japan's  economy  is  slowing down. The unemployment rate is in-
creasing and young  people  such  as  university  graduates  are
facing some difficulty obtaining jobs.

In  terms of research, I keep myself somehow moving. This year I
spent some time in  Hokkaido  studying  an  interesting  wetland
vegetation  and Betula ermanii forest. As I told you in the last
message,  I  made  some  observation  on   the   vegetation   of
Kamtchatka.  There  the  Betula  forest  is predominant and very
characteristic. I want to do some  comparative  studies  of  the
forest  between  Kamtchatka and northern Japan. The flora of the
peninsula is very interesting as pointed out by Hulten. That  of
the  lowland  is very similar to that of northern Japan but that
of the high elevation may include a substantial number of Berin-
gian elements hence somewhat resembles that of Alaska-Yukon. For
the Kamtchatka, I  tentatively  recognized  five  biogeoclimatic
zones,  i.e.  from  low  elevation to high: 1) Larix kamtchatica
zone, 2) Picea jezoensis zone, 3) Betula ermanii zone, 4)  Pinus
pumila  zone,  and  5)  alpine tundra zone. Except 1) and 5), we
have similar or the same zones in Hokkaido.

My dream is to cover the entire  northern  Pacific  region  from
northern  Japan,  Kurile Islands, Kamtchatka Peninsula, Aleutian
Islands, Alaska-Yukon, to the Pacific western North America with
the biogeoclimatic classification together with  some  floristic
gradient.

As  a  part of this personal project, I would like to spend some
time in the Yukon next summer (1994), though nothing  is  final-
ized  yet.  I  need  to find some finance and time to do so. Any
way, I will keep you informed.

I would appreciate any news about you and your  wife,  Victoria,
and Canada.

All the best. Bye for now. Satoru

VICTORIA (VANCOUVER ISLAND) MYCOLOGICAL GROUP

We are trying to establish an organization for people interested
in  fungi  and mushrooms in Victoria, B.C. If you are interested
in joining this group, please give  your  name  and  address  to
Hannah  Nadel  (phone  721-4291)  or  leave  her  a  message c/o
rcannings at galaxy.gov.bc.ca .

JOB: PLANT DEMOGRAPHY/CONSERVATION BIOLOGY
From: Robert Meinke <meinker at BCC.ORST.EDU>

In 4-6 weeks the State  of  Oregon  will  be  recruiting  for  a
botanist    with    expertise    in    stage-based   demographic
monitoring/modelling of rare and endangered  plant  populations.
Experience  with  transition  matrix  modelling, including field
set-up, data collection, and analysis (employing Ramas-stage  or
something  comparable)  will  be  required.  General statistical
proficiency is also necessary (ANOVA,  various  non-parametrics,
etc.),  as  well  as  an ability to use D-base and Quatro pro or
their equivalents. The individual selected will be continuing or
expanding field projects already in progress, and  will  oversee
2-4  conservation  biology  interns.  Additional assignments may
include field supervision of  a  re-introduction  study  for  an
endangered dune species on the Oregon coast.

The  position  is  presently  set  for  18  months (beginning in
January 1994), with the possibility of  extension.  Compensation
will  include  full benefits and $ 25-30k annually. Duty station
will be Corvallis, Oregon, with extensive  spring/summer  travel
within the state, often to remote areas.

If  you  wish  to  be  put on a mailing list to receive the full
announcement for this position reply electronically or  by  post
to:

     Bob Meinke
     Department of Botany & Plant Pathology
     Oregon State University
     CORVALLIS, OR  97331
     (503)737-2317
     internet: meinker at bcc.orst.edu

DISEASES AND PESTS OF VEGETABLE CROPS IN CANADA
From: Peter Kevan <pkevan at uoguelph.ca>
(Originally posted on entomo-l at uoguelph.ca)

This magnum opus, sponsored by the Entomological Society of
Canada  and the Canadian Phytopathological Society, will be
available very shortly. The book, over 400 pages  with  136
colour  plates  can be purchased from Marilyn Dykstra, Pest
Diagnostic Clinic, POBox 3650, 95 Stone  Rd.  W.,  Zone  2,
Guelph, Ontario N1G 8J7. FAX 519-767-6240. The price is not
yet  available,  but  Marilyn will be able to advise if you
FAX her.

EDITORIAL MEDITATION

During the long pause between BEN # 62 and BEN # 63 I got a
record number of requests from people who  wanted  to  sub-
scribe  to  BEN and no request to unsubscribe. As soon as I
produced a new issue, the number of new subscribers dropped
and two people wanted to unsubscribe. You can see that  BEN
is  much  more successful when it does not appear than when
it does. Please don't be discouraged by this fact and  send
me  whatever  interesting  botanical  news  you  have. Many
thanks for your support. - Adolf Ceska