Teaching with Arabidopsis

Jon Monroe, Biology FAC_JMONROE at VAX1.ACS.JMU.EDU
Thu Nov 11 13:12:51 EST 1993

Dear netters:

I teach a plant physiology course to seniors here at JMU and am planning on
doing a semester project involving giving them EMS mutagenized Arabidopsis
seeds (M2), letting them screen for any mutant they choose (with a list of
procedures that work), growing up the mutants for seeds, asking some
question(s) and doing quantitative experiments comparing their mutants with
wild type plants, and lastly presenting the work in a written and oral form.
I have three questions:

1. Has anyone tried this sort of approach?
2. Will you send me a brief description of screens that you have tried and
whether they work or not? (I will try to repost the compiled list if such a list
is not already available...)
3. What are your thoughts on the feasibility of this approach?

Sincerely,  Jon

Jonathan Monroe
Dept. of Biology
James Madison University