Top 10 objectives of plant biology?

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 07:45:05 EST 1993

Roy Navarre (navarrer at edu.orst.bcc.ava) wrote:
: Does anyone have opinions on what the top 10 goals of plant research are
: or should be? Have any recent articles addressed this question?

I recommend reading the 'update' series of mini-reviews in Plant Physiology.

Their choice of topic, and the articles cited gives a contemporary view
of what is currently funded (!) and being investigated.

My opinion about what 'should' be a goal is, like everyone else who has
responded to this thread, influenced by my own area of interest ...

However, I believe that the most important goal of plant research
should be to further the development of sustainable systems by
understanding the biological processes upon which they depend.

The other nine, of course, are to automatically interpret images of
plant tissue and predict the mechanical properties or degradability of
the whole plant or crop residue ;-)

	Tony.