osmoregulation and proline

Gandalf the Grey v052lttb at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 16 15:38:00 EST 1993

	 Next week I will be giving a talk on the many roles of Abscisic
Acid on plant growth and development.  One of the central themes in which
ABA is associated with is osmotic stress.  In the review acticles and the
texts I have read mention that proline is an important osmoprotectant, but
I can't find out why.  Can anyone help me out with a simple explanation??
I must admit I won't be covering this in my talk, it is more for personal
interest.  Any input would greatly be appreciated.
		Thanks,
	Joe Boinski
	SUNY at Buffalo