cuticle reduction

Andrew Smith s1091865 at cedarville.edu
Thu Nov 18 14:38:16 EST 1993

A group of students, including myself, are involved in a BLIP (Botany
Laboratory Inquiry Project) project studying the effects of touch on soybean
plants.  One of our test groups receives a gentle 'rub down' of two minutes
per day.  After about a week of this treatment, the leaves began to curl and
look frazzled along the margins.  The control group receives no touch at
all, and the leaves appear normal.  After implimenting the treatment I find
my fingers are slick, I suppose they are being 'lubricated' by the cuticle
my fingers are picking up.  Are my fingers removing enough of the cuticle so
that the leaves are loosing moisture, thus the curling and frazzled
appearance, or could there be substances on my fingers that are being
deposited on the leaves that could have an effect?

          ...If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its
          author and finisher.  As a nation of freemen, we must
          live through all time, or die by suicide.
                                            -Abraham Lincoln