keep out the bad guys...

R.G. Walters mbrgw at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 11:24:56 EST 1993

In article <2cq6fe$vr at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk writes:
>\Martin Hughes \(Bioc\) (mjgh at mbfs\.bio.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
>: In article <CGpBJn.ABF at news.iastate.edu> mkjensen at iastate.edu (Martha K Jensen) writes:
>
>: About scaring folks off from using/stealing things, including...
>
>: [...]
>
>While I was a PhD student some people in the lab were in the habit of
>putting radioactivity hazard warning tape on their 'Eppendorf'
>pippettes to stop others from using them (in case they were
>contaminated)....

I heard a story about some bods doing work in the field. To prevent
anyone stealing their equipment while they weren't there, they also used
radioactive tape on it.

Unfortunately, some public-spirited mamber of the public found it, and
(suspecting it to have been discarded) contacted the local police.  Since it
is apparently illegal to label anything as radioactive which isn't (is this
true? - anyone?), our heroes were in trouble.

Robin Walters.                      Robert Hill Institute, Sheffield UK.

A fact is an opinion that everyone agrees with.