Phaseolus mailing list

Tom Michaels TMICHAEL at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Thu Oct 7 10:22:15 EST 1993

Since there has been some discussion of nunas bean on this list, I
thought some of you might be interested in the following....

        New discussion group for bean researchers and friends:
                         phaseolus at uoguelph.ca

I get my best ideas during coffee breaks, particularly while chatting
with old friends over bad coffee at good scientific meetings.  Packed
with fresh facts and stale gossip, I wander back to my seat in the
conference room, and, during the boring bits, mold a headfull of
disconnected thoughts into my next research project.

I would like to recreate that coffee break forum here in a new
discussion group called PHASEOLUS, and make it an ongoing event rather
than an annual (or rarer) occurrence.

PHASEOLUS was created for the common bean research community.
Students whose research interests or research projects involve
common beans are particularly invited to subscribe and participate.
PHASEOLUS is a place to ask and answer questions, present and
discuss results, propose projects and collaborations, establish and
maintain connections to the research community.  It is also a
non-threatening venue in which to develop electronic conferencing
skills.

PHASEOLUS grew out of my experiences at the Bean Improvement
Cooperative meetings - it is those coffee breaks that I want to
recreate - and conversations with BIC members Jim Myers and Phil
McClean.  I particularly hope that it will complement the on-line
bean database that Phil is constructing.

If you would like to join this forum, please subscribe by sending an
electronic mail message to:

     LISTSERV at UoGuelph.CA

Leave the Subject line blank and send as the body of the message the
following command:

     SUBSCRIBE PHASEOLUS Firstname Lastname

where Firstname is your first name and Lastname is your last name.

When you subscribe you will receive some information on how to set a
password. You can safely ignore this as the password is only relevant
with regard to a portion of the listserv machine which is not enabled.

Send your postings for the list to

      phaseolus at uoguelph.ca

This list will be announced at the BIC meeting in Boise, Idaho in
early November 1993.

The discussion will be administered from the listserv at the
University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada.  If you have any
questions about this list, or technical problems with
the listserver, please write to the list owner, Tom Michaels, at

     tmichael at crop.uoguelph.ca.