Plant Biomechanics Meeting in Montpellier, 1994

Julian F. V. Vincent szsvinct at uk.ac.reading
Wed Oct 13 03:40:46 EST 1993

There will be an international meeting entitiled Plant Biomechanics from
5th to 9th September in Montpellier, France.  The three main sessions will
be on Adaptive mechanical design of plant, Biomechanics of growth and
Short-term biomechanical responses.  There will also be a short series of
review lectures and round-table discussions.  Proposed subjects for these
are quality of fruits and vegetables, plant fibres and macromolecules,
plant habit and strength (personally I don't see the connection . . . ) in
agriculture, arboriculture, horticulture and silviculture (again, what's
the difference between numbers 2 and 4 in that list?  Ho hum.  I think it
loses in translation from the French.  Or maybe not ...) and plant
materials such as wood and bamboo.  Actually it promises to be quite a
good meeting.  The organisers cover all aspects of traditional botany and
agriculture, plus engineering, materials science, etc.

For further details contact Bernard Thibaut, LMGC "Bois", CP 81, U.
Montpellier II, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34059 Montpellier Cedex, France.
tel (33) 67143441, fax (33) 67544852.

See you there!!

Julian Vincent, Centre for Biomimetics, University of Reading, Earley
Gate, Reading, RG6  2AT.  tel (0734) 318418, fax (0734) 352421