microsatellites in plants

Chris_Jones at uk.ac.nottingham.ccc.vme Chris_Jones at uk.ac.nottingham.ccc.vme
Wed Oct 20 10:09:17 EST 1993

Hi Netters,
Usual apologies if this is an old question but can anyone tell me what the
bottom line is on microsatellites in plants? Although I have seen several
reviews referring to them I have been unable to find out any hard info.
I should say that I am particularlt interested in cereals and woody species
but anything would do. So....
Do any/most/all plants have microsatellites?
Are they REALLY polymorphic as they are in Man?
If so then......
Are the flanking sequences conserved between species/varieties?
Are there teams of people beavering away trying to construct microsatellite
maps of common (or uncommon!) species?
What are the best repeat units to try?

Hope someone can help.

Chris Jones