Plant Patent Paranoia

BIOHEAD GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU
Fri Oct 22 17:55:25 EST 1993

A colleague of mine has recieved a request for her to send a chitinase
gene to a lab working on insect resistance in cotton. She smells a patent, and
has asked me if there is precedence for basic (academic) researchers having
genes they've isolated being used in transgenic plants which have gone on
to be patented for potential profit, without any provisions being made for
that academic researcher.

I have not heard of such problems in the plant field, but netters that
know better are implored to educate me, perhaps saving my colleague
some problems too.

Thanks,
						Ellmore
						Tufts Biology