Plant Patent Paranoia

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Oct 25 16:58:00 EST 1993

In Article <01H4F8ZO292A8WW2LY at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU> "GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU (BIOHEAD)" says:
> A colleague of mine has recieved a request for her to send a chitinase
> gene to a lab working on insect resistance in cotton. She smells a patent, and
> has asked me if there is precedence for basic (academic) researchers having
> genes they've isolated being used in transgenic plants which have gone on
> to be patented for potential profit, without any provisions being made for
> that academic researcher.
>
> I have not heard of such problems in the plant field, but netters that
> know better are implored to educate me, perhaps saving my colleague
> some problems too.
>
> Thanks,
> 						Ellmore
> 						Tufts Biology
> 						Medford, MA

Most universities have very competent legal staffs for just this kind of
thing.  Since a large part of your overhead is paying their salary, why not
take advantage of them.  At the very least, they could write you up a nice
contract that would facilitate scholarly research while preserving the
rights of your friend and the university to a share of any potential patents.
.
.		Good Luck
.
.			Leonard N. Bloksberg