PROFESSIONAL STUDENTISM

Thu Oct 28 17:30:49 EST 1993

In article <2ap3lc$d0g at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, bdemars at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brent G DeMars) writes:
>What are your opinions on people who earn two Ph.D. 's in different fields such
>as ecology and toxicology.  I'm contemplating another doctorate and wonder what
>the general consensus in academia is regarding this.  I'm also consider as a
>possibility a J.D.
>
>thanks

If you can combine the two in one thesis, why bother?  Its the resume that
counts, unless you really want to spend all of that time as a student.
I did all of the necessary work for a Ph.D. in both botany and plant pathology
in about 3.5 years (and know several others who did the same - I'm not
bragging).  I didn't see the point in doing two dissertations, since mine
really included both topics anyway.  In fact, I have no trouble being
considered as a plant pathologist by most, although my piece of paper says
Botany.   I think you will save yourself a lot of aggravation if you
form your committee and project in an interdisciplinary manner (presuming
your institution allows it).  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Visiting Fellow
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600