Leaf chemistry in biennials

BIOHEAD GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU
Fri Sep 3 08:28:55 EST 1993

In our lab we are working with several species of pierid butterflies.
Recently we have been able to rear one species, P. napi oleracea, on a
hostplant which was never a suitable foodplant for this species. ( The
larvae would feed and die.)  The plant is a biennial.
	I was wondering if anyone has any evidence of the chemical composition
of biennials differing from one year to the next.  The larvae were reared on
leaves from second year growth.
	My name is Allison Courant and I am working with Dr. Francie Chew
at Tufts University.