Plant cell culture

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Sun Sep 5 23:19:15 EST 1993

> To:            plant-biology at net.bio.net
> From:          fwl at nova.np.ac.sg (Forday Wayne Lee)
> Subject:       Plant cell culture
> Date:          3 Sep 93 05:03:13 GMT

> I know that plant cell and tissue culture has been around for long time.
>
> Does anyone know if any commercially viable products (except for more
> plants) has come out of this technology ?
>
> From what I gather, plants don't excrete very well and they grow slowly.
>

> How is it that high value products  such as vanilla, taxol, quinine etc
> are not widely produced by plant cell culture ?

Certain plant cell lines can be genetically unstable. Thus they would
be quite prone to loosing the valuable gene that they would contain.
An example of such unstable types of cells is Alfalfa suspension
cells, which frequently loose chromosomes and double others, if they
are kept growing in culture for a long time.

> Again sorry if my questions are a bit simple, I'm not a plantologist by
> training.

Don't be sorry asking questions is the only way you'll learn. Oh, by
the way plant scientists are generally refered to as Botanists, just
thought you'd like to know. :)

> Thanks in advance
>

> Wayne Lee Forday
> Biotechnology Department
> Ngee Ann Polytechnic
> Singapore

Stephen A. Pluhar
SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1