basil plant help

John Roberts jwr4 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 7 11:51:16 EST 1993

In article <26aqaf$bnp at convx1.lerc.nasa.gov> Fu-Lin Tsung,
fstsung at convx1.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
> few months ago i planted my first batch of basil plants from seeds.
>(this is the 1st time i planted any thing in my life)
>the plants are all about 8 to 10 inches tall and looked healthy till
about
>a week ago, when the stems of several plants started to turn brown.
anyone
>knows what causes the stems (just above the soil) to turn brown (about
>.5 inch long)?
> the pot is about 8" in diameter, the soil is just potting soil from
>neighborhood K-Mart store. i water it about once every 3 days or so.
>i use miricle grow crystals (mixed w/ water) about every other time I
>water.

There is this fungus, you see, that is nortorious for doing what you
descriped.

Next time, don't use the fertilizer, too much too soon.  Potting soil
used for seeds should be "pasteurazed" before using (especially K-Mart
soils).  Bake moistened soil in you oven for 45 minutes at 180?F.  Use a
fungicide, such as benomyl, if the problem should repeat itself.

John