Water on plants

Gandalf the Grey v052lttb at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Thu Sep 9 09:47:00 EST 1993

In article <CD39rH.KIA at zeno.fit.edu>, James Marek <jmarek at rhs.brevard.k12.fl.us> writes...
>I am a sixth grade student and would like to do a science project on plants.
>I would like to use different types of water on them and see if they will
>cause any variations. Some of the types of water I will use are, reclaimed
>water, swimming pool water, tap water, rain water, and bottled water. If
>anyone has done some experiments in this area I would appreciate any
>information on your results or techniques. I am using a teachers computer at
>a high school. Please reply to his address. Thank you.  Cliff Jones
	It's very encouraging to see younger people interested in science.
I'm am a PhD student in plant molecular biology and so far your experiment
sounds very good.  A friend of mine did a similiar study with the affect of
acid rain on pollen formation in a certain plant called aribidopsis.  She
found that high acid levels appeared to inhibit plant growth and pollen
formation.
	May I suggest using bean plants or corn plants in your study, since
they are very easy to grow.  Some guidelines could be: Plant all of your
plants from seeds.  Make sure each is planted on the same day and the same
depth in the soil.  Have different pots with soil and watering
conditions(Make sure you watered the soil before you planted the seeds so
that the soil has the particular type of water already in it) and then
plant your seeds.  See how long it takes for a particular pot to germinate,
grow, etc. . .  Another condition that you should use would be to plant 5
or 6 seeds in each pot.  This is because if you only plant one seed you are
not sure if the effect you are seeing is due to the different watering
conditions or the differences in the seeds themselves.
	I hope this was of some assistance and I hope your experiment goes
well.  Keep us informed!!!