viability assays

Robert J. Lebowitz Robert_Lebowitz at Mankato.MSUS.EDU
Fri Sep 10 12:57:46 EST 1993

In article <26lcir$n6j at bigboote.WPI.EDU> eeyore at wpi.WPI.EDU ( eeYORE ) writes:
>Subject: viability assays

>        I am in need of some type of viability assay for root tissue.  I have
>been using CO2 production, but this requires stoppering the growth vessel.
>I have tried FDA (fluorescein diacetate) stain, but this is not quantitative
>or reliable for plant tissue.  Anyone have any ideas or experience?
>                                                                        Melissa

Melissa:

A few years ago, I had a student work on using very low concentrations of
Triphenyl Tetrazolium Chloride which will stain tissues a reddish color when
it is metabolized by living plant tissue.  The byproduct accumulates in the
living tissue, and due to the nature of the reduction process, you'll stop
cellular respiration when treating the tissue with this substance, however, if
you use very, very low concentrations of the stuff, you might be able to keep
your tissue alive and still use it.

Rob
Rob Lebowitz
Department of Biological Sciences