viability assays

eeeeeyore eeyore at wpi.WPI.EDU
Tue Sep 14 11:32:46 EST 1993

	Thanks for all your suggestions so far; but the biggest problem I have
is *quantitating* viability.  Counting glowing/non-glowing cells in the FDA
assay proved impossible.  Ideally I would like to expose the experimental root
tissue to a substance (dye, chemical, whatever) and somehow measure the
reaction.  For instance, in the FDA assay, the molecule is cleaved by an
esterase; in theory, if I could measure how much UNcleaved FDA went in, and
how much "cleaved" FDA came out, I could define viability that way.  Is there
another chemical that is more amenable to this kind of measurement?
									Melissa