cold acclimation in Zea mays

Marty Sachs msachs at
Sat Sep 18 16:47:35 EST 1993

In article <27cvtj$mmo at> greshw at (William
Gresh) writes:
>	I am a college senior and as my senior project I would like to
>investigate cold acclimation in Zea mays, but I have had difficulty
>finding past research on this topic.  Does anyone know of any research
>concerning cold acclimation/frost hardiness/cold tolerance in Zea mays?
>	Thankyou,
>		Bill Gresh
>		greshw at

There is a group in New Zealand who are studying cold tolerance in maize.
Unfortunately, I don't have an e-mail address for them.  You might try
contacting Allan K. Hardacre, Maize Breeder, Crop & Food Research,
Palmerston North Research Centre, Private Bag 11030, Palmerston North, NEW
ZEALAND.  Ph# 64-6-356-8019 (after hours# 64-6-356-8322);  FAX#

Off the top of my head, I can think of one paper, on a very
molecular-level, that examines some flooding induced genes that also
appear to be expressed at 10 degrees C...

Christie, et al., 1991, Plant Physiology v95: Pages 699-706.

I hope that this is helpful.

      Marty Sachs, Director
      Maize Genetics Cooperation - Stock Center

USDA/ARS & Agronomy/UIUC    msachs at [internet]
S108 Turner Hall            msachs at UIUCVMD [bitnet]
1102 S. Goodwin Ave.        (217) 244-0864 [phone]
Urbana, IL  61801           (217) 244-7703 [FAX]