seeds dormancy & germination

Willy A Verheulpen waverheu at vub.ac.be
Mon Sep 20 03:48:25 EST 1993

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have any info on enhancing seeds germination.
This interests me very much. The striation/scratching &
sulphuric acid treatments are known in the raising
of many plant species.(I am mainly interested in cacti)
I am more interested in experiments that show a chemical/
biochemical or other influence that breaks seeds dormancy
and that is able to amplify the seeds germination rate.
I know giberillines are used as such but is there anyone
who has experimented with these? With what results?
I have come across a reference in German literature where
they speak of "something" they call "KAPROMIN". Has anyone
ever heard of this? I have no idea wheter this is a single
component/mix/commercial name or whatever.
Experiments are mentioned by which germination experiments
show 0% germination wh the compound up to 60% germination
when the compound is used or even applied afther sowing.
Would very much appreciate your comments.

I                                                                  I
I Willy A Verheulpen                          Systems Coordination I
I  Brussels Free University        Institute Molecular Biology     I
I                    e-mail : waverheu at vub.ac.be                   I
I                                                                  I