seeds dormancy & germination

Alan Jeddeloh alanj at netcom.com
Mon Sep 20 22:01:54 EST 1993

In article <waverheu.153.000ACEE7 at vub.ac.be> waverheu at vub.ac.be (Willy A Verheulpen) writes:
>Hello everyone,
>Does anyone have any info on enhancing seeds germination.
>This interests me very much. The striation/scratching &
>sulphuric acid treatments are known in the raising
>of many plant species.(I am mainly interested in cacti)
>I am more interested in experiments that show a chemical/
>biochemical or other influence that breaks seeds dormancy
>and that is able to amplify the seeds germination rate.
>I know giberillines are used as such but is there anyone
>who has experimented with these? With what results?
>I have come across a reference in German literature where
>they speak of "something" they call "KAPROMIN". Has anyone
>ever heard of this? I have no idea wheter this is a single
>component/mix/commercial name or whatever.
>Experiments are mentioned by which germination experiments
>show 0% germination wh the compound up to 60% germination
>when the compound is used or even applied afther sowing.
>Would very much appreciate your comments.
>

>I##################################################################I
 There is a guy named Norman Deno who has experimented with gibberelic
acid, primarily with alpines.  He's written a book (self-published) on
his experiences.  There is a review of it in my October Horticulture (just
arrived today)  Deno's a ex chemistry prof who apparently conducted
extensive research on seed germination.  The prose is described a "knotty"
which propably means the guy should have hired an editor.  If you want a
copy of the review E-mail me your snail mail address.

His address is
Dr. Norman Deno
139 Lenor Dr.
State College, PA 16801

The book is titled Seed Germination Theory and Practice.  Cost is $20 which
includes surface mail oversears.

Sorry for all the errors but I'm new on this system and am not a computer
whiz bang

Jan Jeddel

oh>I                                                                  I