mitochondrial volume

Robert Brambl brambl at graz.cbs.umn.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:10:25 EST 1993

In article <1993Sep21.161628.302 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri (Tony
Travis) writes:
> rogersh at uk.ac.afrc wrote:
> : Subject: mitochondrial volume
> :
> : I sent this  query to Biosci::methods & reagents  and got little
response
> : so I thought I would broaden my search for a reply....
>
> :
> : The poser I have is:
>
> :  How would one go about determining the mitochondrial volume in
> : tissue culture cells....unfortunately plant ones.
> :
> : Is there a method(s) for doing this ?
> : Has any one done it ?

Measuring mitochondrial volume in vivo can be tricky, since mitochondria
may change shape, fuse, shrink, or swell, depending upon physiological
conditions.  Nevertheless, if you can hold all these things constant, I
would suggest using potentiometric cyanine dyes for the mitochondria.
These work beautifully in plant cells.  See Plant Physiol. (1987)
84:1385-1390. You could photograph the fluorescent mitochondria, enlarge
the prints suitably, and use area measurements to *estimate* mitochondrial
volume.

Hope this helps.