Medlars

Beverly Erlebacher bae at gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 23 14:07:50 EST 1993

In article <01H37DP15GCY8WYD0O at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU>,
BIOHEAD <GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU> wrote:
>A colleague of mine recently wrote:
>
>discovered medlars (Mespila
>germanica, Rosaceae).  They are wonderful.  Why have we never seen them in
>America?  I've always felt that apricots are a somewhat overrated fruit but now
>I find that medlars, which resemble them somewhat, are just superb.
>
>After this discovery of Medlars in his European tour, he now wants to
>propagate them here in Boston MA. Are propagules available in the USA?

I think it's Mespilus germanicus, actually, but I could be wrong.

There is a recent book by Lee Reich "Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention"
that describes medlars, among many others.  The book includes sources for
the plants described.  Named varieties of medlar are probably available.
Reich has a Ph.D in some kind of biology, so the science in the book is
good, he is a skilled and literate writer, so the classical quotations
and lively style are another plus.

Chiltern Seeds in Britain sells medlar seeds, if all else fails.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada