0 Internet service for plant info wanted??!

Tom Schneider toms at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Sat Apr 2 21:05:09 EST 1994

In article <jeff.765261634 at yarrow> jeff at yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au (Jeffrey Smartt) writes:
>can someone tell me if there is some service on the internet that will
>allow me to search for the details/attributes of a plant given that I
>know its name - e.g. height, known diseases, etc.

This probably not an internet service yet, but it probably is what you would
like.  Find the recent (last 2 months or so) Science News - the one with the
colorful fly on the cover.  The article is about having a computer identify
species (flies but also plants) by whatever characteristics you happen to know
rather than following the laborious dichotomous method used until now.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201