Monocot seed development

Marty Sachs msachs at
Tue Apr 5 17:31:19 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9404042119.A2400-0100000 at uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
tracie at UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU (Tracie Matsumoto) writes:
>Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of any good articles on monocot seed
>development.Dicot seed development seems to be well documented with the
>globular, heart-shaped and torpedo stages but I can't find too much on
>monocot seed development except in special cases such as the grasses. ie)
>Corn. If anyone knows of any articles I'd really appreciate the
>information. Thanks in  advance.
>tracie at

Here are a few references to get you started...

1) The Structure and Reproduction of Corn, 1949, T.A. Kiesselbach, University
of Nebraska Press.

2) Anatomy of Seed Plants, 2nd Edition, 1977, K. Esau, John Wiley and Sons

3) Sass, J.E., Morphology, Chapter 3 in: Corn and Corn Improvement, 2nd
Edition, 1977, Ed. G.F. Sprague, Am Soc of Agronomy.
     *Note: This is a reproduction of the same chapter that appeared in Vol 1,
      1955, but is not in the most recent edition (vol 3, 1988)

Marty Sachs
USDA/ARS & Agronomy/UIUC    msachs at [internet]
S108 Turner Hall            msachs at UIUCVMD [bitnet]
1102 S. Goodwin Ave.        (217) 244-0864 [phone]
Urbana, IL  61801           (217) 333-6064 [FAX]