Wanted: TEOSINTE EAR

Yaron Y. Levy ylevy at binah.cc.brandeis.edu
Fri Apr 8 15:45:01 EST 1994

Dear Plant People,

I'm preparing to give a lecture on genes controlling plant morphological
characteristics and plan to use the "domestication" of teosinte into maize
as an example.

A paper by John Doebley and Adrian Stec appeared fairly recently (GENETICS
134:559-570 (1993); "Inheritance of the morphological differences between
maize and teosinte: Comparison of results for two F2 populations) in which
they used Lander and Botstein's QTL mapping method (GENETICS 121:185-199)
to begin to genetically map the five or so loci that differ between maize
and teosinte.

WOULD SOMEONE WHO WORKS WITH, OR HAS ACCESS TO, TEOSINTE BE KIND ENOUGH TO
DROP ONE EAR INTO AN ENVELOPE AND MAIL IT TO ME, so that I can examine it
firsthand?  (I would need it before 4/18/94.)

IF NOT, does anyone know John Doebley or Adrian Stec's phone number and/or
e-mail address?  They are in the Plant Biology Department at the University
of Minnesota.

Any help or information would be much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Yaron Y. Levy

Dept. of Biology
Bassine Bldg.