Optimum wavelength of light for best plant growth.

Robert F. Enenkel enenkel at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Apr 17 10:08:14 EST 1994

dhaas at HUGO.FSUFAY.EDU writes:
>Bruce Murrell wrote:

>> Could anyone provide information on which wavelengths of light provide the
>>best growth rate for plants.

>The action spectrum for photosynthesis (the wavelengths where you get the most
>photosynthesis) varies from plant to plant,however, in general you could say
>that the rate for most plants peaks in the blue and red parts of the spectrum
>red being the most effective. If you consider  585 - 660 nm as being
>100% effective then the peak in the blue 430 - 450nm is about 70% effective.
>In between these two peaks the rate dips to about 60% at 485nm.

I'm no botanist, but isn't there also some requirement that both red and blue
be present?  For example, for a fixed amount of light energy, you could get
faster plant growth by using all red light, but unless there is at last some
minimum amount of blue light the plants will become very elongated.
     Robert Enenkel