Finding the optimum wavelength of light for the best plant growth

john markwell markwell at unlinfo.unl.edu
Mon Apr 18 07:55:31 EST 1994

j-cheeseman at uiuc.edu (John Cheeseman) writes:

>Despite the fact that chlorophyll absorbs maximally in the blue and red,
>photosynthesis (and thus growth) is almost equally efficient across the
>entire visible spectrum from 400 to 700 nm.  Therefore, sunlight is good
>stuff, tungsten would be good except for the large heat load if you are
>using it in a closed area, and the fact that the heat load represents watts
>you are paying for without results.  Fluorescents, halides, mixed halides
>and all those give usable light, depending on what your specific plant
>requirements are and you budget.

The above statement about all wavelengths being almost equally
efficient is both correct and incorrect.  If one considers the quantum
yield, then any visible photon which is absorbed is effective (+/-
25%) at driving photosynthesis.  However, if one desires to examine
the efficiency of different light sources, then the action spectrum
must be considered.  The blue and red photons are absorbed with a high
molar absorptivity, whereas the green and far red are not.  The
wavelengths which are not absorbed do not drive photosynthesis to any
appreciable extent.  To get information on the quantum yield, you
might consult Emerson and Lewis (1943) Amer. J. Bot. 30: 165.  For the
relationship between action spectrum and quantum yield you might
consut P.S. Nobel(1991) Physiochemical and Environmental Plant
Physiology, Academic Press.  I hope this helps.

--
John Markwell			Phone: 402-472-2924
Dept. Biochemistry		FAX:   402-472-7842
University of Nebraska		Internet: markwell at unl.edu