BEN # 74

Adolf Ceska aceska at CUE.BC.CA
Tue Apr 19 00:19:07 EST 1994

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 74                               April 19, 1994

Address: aceska at cue.bc.ca            Victoria, B.C.
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2

MELINDA FAY DENTON (1944-1994)
From: ASPT Newsletter, April 1994

The  untimely  death  on  5  March 1994 of Professor Melinda Fay
Denton (1944-1994) from an unrelenting cancer saddens  all  whom
she  touched.  Her  demise is particularly poignant for her col-
leagues in the American Society  of  Plant  Taxonomists  (ASPT),
which  Society she served with distinction as Editor-in-Chief of
Systematic Botany (1984-1985) and as  President  (1990-1991).  A
celebration  of  her  rich  and  productive life will be held 30
April 1994 (11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) at  the  Center  for  Urban
Horticulture,   University  of  Washington,  Seattle,  WA,  USA.
Memorial gifts can be made to the Melinda Denton Fund in support
of student research in systematics; made payable to the  Univer-
sity  of  Washington  and  sent  to  Department of Botany KB-15,
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA. A full reprise
of her botanical career  will  appear  in  a  future  number  of
Taxon._Arthur  R.  Kruckeberg, Professor Emeritus, Department of
Botany KB-15, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA.

Melinda Denton had a long association with  and  involvement  in
the activities of the ASPT. In 1978 she won the Cooley Award for
her  paper entitled "Endemism and evolutionary divergence in the
Sedum section Gormania complex (Crassulaceae)". She also  served
as  ASPT Secretary (1978-1979), ASPT Council Member (1981-1983),
Editor-in-Chief of Systematic Botany (1984-1985), ASPT President
Elect (1990), ASPT President (1991),  and  ASPT  Past  President
(1992).  Behind  the  scenes  she  poured her energy into other,
equally important activities such as  co-chairing  the  steering
committee for "Systematics Agenda 2000. Charting the Biosphere."
All  of  us are indebted to her for her many, generous contribu-
tions to our Society._Editor of the ASPT Newsletter.

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON OZONE DEPLETION AND UV RADIATION
   UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA, APRIL 27 - APRIL 29, 1994

A Special Public Presentation will be held  as  a  part  of  the
Conference  in the University Centre Auditorium, Wednesday April
27, from 8:30 to 5:30 (NO BREAK FOR LUNCH !!!). Tickets for this
marathon of 30 minilectures cost $ 10.00 and  are  available  at
door.  The presentation will offer a wide array of topics on the
impact of UV radiation on human health,  terrestrial  biosphere,
aquatic system, forests, climate, etc.

BOTANY BC MEETING - QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS - JUNE 20-25, 1994

The  registration  forms  for  the BOTANY BC annual meeting have
been sent out and the deadline for registration is May  12.  The
program  of  the  meeting includes one morning of lectures and a
grand field trip (June 23-25) to Skidegate Narrows (and beyond).
The registration fee $ 125.00 includes many  meals  &  on-island
transportation,  the  field trip fee is $ 150.00 (transportation
and meals included), but the numbers for the field trip may have
to be limited: REGISTER EARLY.

For more information contact Rosamund Pojar, Box 3089, Smithers,
B.C., VOJ 2N0 (phone: 847-9784) or
Jim Pojar <jpojar at mfor01@for.gov.bc.ca>.

ANTI-CORE RALLY: TWELVE PERCENT WOULD BE FINE [BEN # 72]
From: N.J. Hewitt & Bristol Foster - Time-Colonist, Apr 3, 1994

The large logging companies' anti-CORE rally  March  21  on  the
legislative  lawns [in Victoria] had its theme, "12 per cent, no
more." This referred, we presume, to the minimum of 12 per  cent
of  natural  areas  needed for protection in each country in the
world, as promoted by the Brundtland Commission and by  the  WWF
and  now  accepted  by the [Canadian] federal and all provincial
governments.

Indeed, many environmentalists would be quite relieved if 12 per
cent of low and mid-elevation  ancient  (old-growth)  forest  on
Vancouver Island was protected. In fact only 4.4 per cent is now
protected,  with another 1.4 per cent proposed for protection in
the CORE report.

If we are going to protect 12 per  cent  of  all  representative
ecosystems  (as  intended  in  the  government's Protected Areas
Strategy),  then  some  alpine  and  sub-alpine  should  be  de-
gazetted,  to raise the amount of protected ancient forest to 12
per cent. Would this please the forest companies? it is  consis-
tent with their demand: "12 per cent, no more."

Less  than  6  per  cent of Vancouver Island's ancient forest is
protected or proposed for protection. This  is  insufficient  to
protect the biodiversity of this particularly rich ecosystem.

To  assure  future  generations of a healthy forest resource, we
need to adhere to world standards protecting a minimum of 12 per
cent of our ancient forests.

SEEDS OF NATIVE FOOD PLANTS WANTED
From: Brian Compton <bcompton at unixg.ubc.ca>

I am seeking to  obtain  viable  seeds  (or  other  reproductive
materials)  for  several  plants  used  as  food  by B.C. Native
groups. These are to be cultivated  experimentally  at  the  UBC
Botanical Garden in conjunction with ethnobiological initiatives
put  forth  by  the  First  Nations House of Learning at UBC. If
anyone can supply native food plant seeds I would like  to  hear
from you:

Allium  spp.  (e.g.,  A. cernuum), Balsamorhiza sagitatta, Calo-
chortus macrocarpus, Camassia spp., Claytonia  lanceolata,  Cir-
sium  undulatum,  Conioselinum  pacificum,  Erythronium  grandi-
florum, Fragaria spp., Fritillaria spp. (including  F.  pudica),
Hydrophyllum  capitatum,  Ledum  glandulosum,  Lewisia rediviva,
Lilium columbianum, Lomatium spp. (esp. L. macrocarpum, but just
about any other sp. as well), Lupinus littoralis, L.  nootkaten-
sis,  Mentha arvensis, Potentilla anserina, Potentilla pacifica,
Rubus pedatus, Rumex occidentalis,  Sium  suave,  and  Trifolium
wormskjoldii;  also, any of the less commonly encountered Vacci-
nium spp. or Rubus spp.

Brian D. Compton
Ethnobiological Program Developer
First Nations House of Learning
E-mail:  bcompton at unixg.ubc.ca

NATIVE PLANTS IN FOREST RECLAMATION
From: Marty Kranabetter <mkranabe at mfor01.for.gov.bc.ca>

I am interested in information  concerning  the  use  of  native
plants  in  forest reclamation. Sedges, grasses, legumes, shrubs
or other plants which colonize  disturbed  soil  would  be  good
candidates.  Also,  any  information  concerning  the biological
advantages of native plants  over  agronomic  species  would  be
useful. My phone number is 604-565-6134.

[Check the following report:
Polster,  D.F.  1989.  Manual  of  plant species suitability for
reclamation in Alberta. 2nd edition. Prepared  for  the  Alberta
Land Conservation and Reclamation Council by Hardy B.B.T. Ltd.]

"BC VEGETATION TOO HOT" - FNA WAS TOLD [BEN # 73]

Jim  Pojar  sent me a copy of the correspondence he had with the
co-author of the FNA vegetation  chapter  Michael  Barbour.  The
exchange  started  with  Jim's  caustic  comments  on the "North
American Terrestrial Vegetation" in which Jim  objected  to  the
lack  of  the "Canadian content." As a result, Dr. Barbour asked
Jim to review the FNA vegetation chapter and Jim  made  comments
to  those  parts that were written by Dr. Barbour and that dealt
mostly with the vegetation in the U.S.A. Jim  did  not  get  any
manuscript  from  Dr. Norm Christensen (Duke University, Durham,
North Carolina) who was responsible for the parts of the chapter
that dealt with Canada. It is a pity that no Canadian  ecologist
was invited to collaborate on the FNA vegetation chapter. - AC

"FOUR  KILOGRAMS  OF  WASTE PAPER" UPSET SOME READERS [BEN # 73]
From: Dr. Mary Barkworth <STIPOID at CC.USU.EDU>

Prices in Canada must sure be strange. We can find the money for
the book version of Kartesz' checklist, but we do not have a CD-
ROM reader, I am not sure when we shall be able to  afford  one,
and  it is MUCH easier to look something up in the books than it
would be to get the right CD-ROM  on  the  appropriate  computer
(which  we do not have) and then make the search. Les Watson had
a similar attitude to  yours  concerning  grass  genera  of  the
world. Our copy of that volume is almost worn out. I can take it
home  and use it if I want to. .... I would rather have 5 floras
than 1 CD-ROM that would get occasional use.

The reader is  on  our  wish  list,  for  Watson  and  Dallwitz'
families  of  flowering  plants  and  the  Kew Index. But I find
myself  thinking  of  smaller  institutions,  like  Boise  State
University,  and  of  the  number of institutions in the US that
have eliminated staff positions.

The title was more negative than the  actual  review.  ...  John
Strother  told  me  that  he uses 3x5 index cards and can nearly
always locate information faster than people who computerize.  I
believe him, but I hate 3x5 cards.