Sycamore tree losing leaves

Jim Kresge kresge at netcom.com
Sun Apr 24 23:06:43 EST 1994

Spring comes in Northern California.  The leaves come out on my big
sycamore tree in front of the house.  Then, mysteriously, the leaves wilt
and turn brown (some of them stay green though).  Then some leaves fall
off.  Later in the June time frame the leaves comes out again and reach
their full size, then fall off again in the late fall.  I have heard that
this is because of a elm disease-like fungus.

Can anybody advise what this is and what the treatment is?