Cucurbit genetics question

Peter Smith psmith at alfred.carleton.ca
Mon Apr 25 15:59:00 EST 1994

Someone in another group posted a question somewhat similar to this,
and I haven't seen a definitive answer yet.  So I thought I'd give
this group a try.

I would like to know which of the following groups must be isolated
from one another to avoid cross breeding.  My interest is not in
saving seed, but rather in present generation yields.

Summer squash (eg:  zuchinni, crooknecks, scallop)
Winter squash (eg:  butternut, hubbard, ...)
Pumpkins (I believe this is a winter squash as well)
Small decorative Gourds
Large hard-shelled Gourds (eg:  birdhouse, bushel, water dipper)
Luffa Gourds

I am aware, for instance, that small decorative gourds when crossbred
with pumpkins or winter squash can result in hybrid pumpkins that are
mis-shapen and hybrid winter squash that are bitter.  But that is all
I know for sure.

This is of great interest to me, so any info is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have heard that minimum isolation for the above gourd example
above is recommended as something like 800 feet by one of the seed
companies.  Anyone agree/disagree with this measure?