Sycamore tree losing leaves

JWGruber jwgruber at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 19:00:07 EST 1994

In article <kresgeCosrF8.LIK at netcom.com>, kresge at netcom.com (Jim Kresge)
writes:

>Spring comes in Northern California.  The leaves come out on my big
>sycamore tree in front of the house.  Then, mysteriously, the leaves wilt
>and turn brown (some of them stay green though).  Then some leaves fall
>off.  Later in the June time frame the leaves comes out again and reach
>their full size, then fall off again in the late fall.  I have heard that
>this is because of a elm disease-like fungus.

>Can anybody advise what this is and what the treatment is?

I have several large sycamores (Platanus ociidentalis) on a farm in
Pennsylvania, including a 150 - 200 year old tree with a 14-foot circumference
and have observed identical "symptoms" in wet Spring years. The cause of leaf
drop was identified as an anthracnose fungus; while I imagine it can be
combatted with fungicides, I have not seen any evidence that teh trees are
adversely affected in the long run. As you noted, by June, a replacement set of
leaves has unfolded. In dry Spring years, we do not have the same leaf drop in
Spring.

John W. Gruber
Gladwyne, PA
jwgruber at aol.com