WHAT I DONT KNOW ABOUT PLANTS

Titus Barthram mi098 at mluri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 03:42:41 EST 1994

> I'M PLANNING A COURSE ENTITLED "TEN THINGS I DON'T KNOW ABOUT PLANTS".  THE
> PHILOSOPHY BEHIND THE COURSE IS THAT PLANT BIOLOGY SHOULD BE PRESENTED IN A WA
> COURSE WILL FOCUS ON TEN BIG THINGS (QUESTIONS) THAT REMAIN UNKNOWN AND GO ABO
> UNDERSTAND WHERE "KNOWN" STOPS AND "UNKNOWN" BEGINS IN PLANT SCIENCE.  THE
> COURSE WILL BE TARGETED AT UNDERGRADUATES, BUT COULD WORK  EFFECTIVELY AT ANY
> LEVEL.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!   I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT "UNKNOWNS" WOULD BE INCLUDED
> ON YOUR PERSONAL LIST OF "TEN THINGS I DON'T KNOW".  I WILL SHARE THE FINISHED
> LIST WITH ANY OR ALL INTERESTED (I'LL EVEN POST A SYLLABUS IF YOU LIKE).  THIS
> REQUEST IS BEING MADE TO OTHER PLANT-ORIENTED NEWSGROUPS AS WELL AS THIS ONE,
> SO I HOPE TO GET A GOOD SAMPLING OF OPINION.  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.  REPLY
> VIA THIS FORUM OR DIRECTLY TO ME AT "MAHOLLAND at SAE.SSU.UMD.EDU"
>
> MARK A. HOLLAND
> DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGY
> SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY
> SALISBURY, MD 21801 USA

What I don't know about plants.  Why does a pasture maintained with a
surface height of 4cm have a different species composition to a
next door pasture maintained with a surface height of 8cm?  This is part
of the more general problem of how a mixture of species responds
to grazers (of all sizes) and how, in turn, grazers respond to the menu
in front of them, which in turn affects the mixture...

Titus Barthram
MI098 at MLURI.SARI.AC.UK