Ten things I don't know about plants

Lew Proudfoot lproudfoot at msmail3.hac.com
Wed Apr 27 10:40:52 EST 1994

In article <199404271209.FAA13004 at net.bio.net>, LYONSW at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU
(James) wrote:

> I don't know how ca. 80,000 vascular plant species can coexist in the
> Neotropical Rainforest; I cannot fathom 80,000 Hutchinsonian niches
> each one unique.
>
> James
I've noticed the same things when studying mosses - many similar
mosses within a few inches of each other - are they getting
slightly different nutrients, and so are not competing?  Are they
competing in slow motion, so slowly we can't see it?  Are they
in some sense symbiotic?  Why do some acrocarpal mosses (in England)
growing on stone appear to have a ring around them where
nothing else grows?  The simple competition model doesn't seem
to fit these circumstances to me.

Lew