Tamarillo?

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Tue Aug 2 10:02:00 EST 1994

.
I have a non-scientific question about a novelty crop.  Does anyone know
what you do with a Tamarillo (aka tree tomato)?  My research interests
center around the solanaceous crops (tomato, tobacco, and potato, with
occasional excursions into the inevitable Arabidopsis).  I have seen these
tamarillo's in seed catalogs and in the market and I finally decided to buy
one, but I have no idea what to do with it.  Do you eat it fresh, boil it,
do you have to peel it, what is it normally used for where it is a native
crop?  If anyone can also tell me something about it's taxonomy I would
also appreciate it.  Could it be related to my beloved solanacie?  Please
email directly to me to avoid wasting too much bandwidth on this rather
mundane question.
	Thanks
Lenny Bloksberg
bloksber at pilot.msu.edu