Stalin's revenge?

Stephen J Bungard sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 05:23:44 EST 1994

In article <CtIMD6.35I at cbfsb.cb.att.com> djd at cbnewsg.cb.att.com writes:

> I too saw the newspaper article, and was irritated that it did not
> included the Latin binomial.  From the article I read (which did not
> mention thorns), I guessed may be a cultivar of the giant hogweed.
>
> (Sorry, I can't recall the Latin binomial right now, but I think it
> may be something like "Heraclea macrophyla".)

Heracleum mantegazzianum is giant hogweed.

> The giant hogweed created something of a media sensation some years ago
> in England, where it has escaped from gardens into lowlands around streams,
> and where some children making been-shooters from its hollow stems came
> down with a poison-ivy type reaction.  I believe there was even a song
> written on the theme of "the attack of the giant hogweeds".

It is now common along river valleys and in waste ground (and readily spreads
into gardens where it is a pain to get rid of) in England.

--
Stephen J Bungard      aka  sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk       |   DO NOT   |
 If there are opinions in the above, they are mine, all mine..  |THROW STONES|