4th PMB Congress Amsterdam - help this idiot

Barbara E. Liedl bl14 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 3 01:03:51 EST 1994

In article <31lmqr$qa7 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> 108KIECK at witsvma.wits.ac.za writes:
>From: 108KIECK at witsvma.wits.ac.za
>Subject: 4th PMB Congress Amsterdam - help this idiot
>Date: 2 Aug 1994 15:56:27 +0100

>Hi!
>(The idiot I am referring to is me.) I am looking for a book that was on
>display during the plant molecular biology congress in June, but did not
>note all the particulars. When I returned to the display desk all the
>copies had been sold! It was a new (1993/1994) hardcover book called
>"Priniciples of Plant Breeding" (or similar), but I don't know who the
>author(s) is/are nor the Publishers, ISBN number etc.
>Can anyone help?           Note: It was not the book 'Fundamentals of
>                                 Plant Breeding' by Kuckuck et. al.
>                                 which I had seen before.

>Thanks
>Dieter <108kieck at witsvma.wits.ac.za>

I wasn't at the meetings, but the only new text I have seen is the
following book:  "Plant Breeding: Theory and Practice" by Neal C. Stoskopf
with Dwight T. Tomes and B.R. Christie, Westview Press, Boulder, CO, 1993,
ISBN 0-8133-1764-9, costs between $60-70 US dollars?  The book is large,
over 500 pages.  The cover is in white, purple & orange, showing a field of
cotton and african violet flowers?

If this isn't the book, I would still suggest getting it.  Several people
in our department have gotten it and it is being using as the general text
displacing Allard's and Fehr's books.

If not, I would sure appreciate hearing about the text you saw at the
meetings, once you get the information on it.

Barbara E. Liedl
Research Associate                          bl14 at cornell.edu
Cornell University
Dept of Plant Breeding and Biometry