Help me resolve a few synonyms

Dan Moerman dmoerman at umich.edu
Sat Aug 6 11:54:12 EST 1994

I am working on a big catalog of native American medicinal, food, dye and
fiber plant use.  I have a few items which I just cannot track down. Perhaps
someone will recognize a one or another of these:

In 1905 JW Blankinship reported that the Blackfoot Indians used Bazzania
trilobata (L.) S.F. Gray to make a yellow dye.  Bazzania, he said, "grows on
pines of the Rocky Mountains."  Any idea what this might be?

In 1951, Castetter and Bell reported that the Cocopa Indians used the seeds of
Glaucotheca armata O.F. Cook (Blue Palm) in gourd rattles.

In 1966, Franz Boas reported that the Kwakiutl indians of British Columbia
used Penoedanum leiocarpum as a cough medicine:  the seeds were kept in the
mouth and the saliva swallowed to loosen the phlegm for hoarseness and coughs.

I cannot find these three taxa listed in any of my sources.  Can anyone help?